Sunday 23 June 2013

Rhinog write-off. Destination, Derwent (Moor).

View from Whinstone Lee Tor, towards Wheel Stones.
So, unfortunately; the planned trip to Rhinog range of Snowdonia had to be postponed due to an injury to the nether region of my good friend Simon. That said, I do respect his decision to call off the trip as he has another planned for this coming weekend. One that I will hopefully be able to be a part of (work depending). Ill not mention too much about it as yet, but it should be great if I can manage it. In the mean time - I decided to venture out anyway. Where? Derwent Moor. Well, almost...


The day had started out as an overnight trip with a wild camp on Derwent Moor near to Wheel Stones, but the wind more than put paid to that idea. It was relatively strong all day, especially on Bamford Moor. But once on Derwent Moor, it was something else! I felt like my tent wouldnt really stand up to the constant barage, because I couldn't myself. It disappointed me; so I shall write this as if it was always going to be the one days walking. ;)

I started this, as I seem to start all my walks, by missing my intended train from Derby to Sheffield. Not only that, but there was another twist to the shoddy organisation. I left my compass behind. A really bad idea if you're planning on heading across moorland or if the weather is due to be bad in terms of visibility. As I would be staying mainly to 'edges' it wasn't as big an issue (though I would have rather had it with me).

After eventually getting off the train at Bamford, I began towards Bamford village and then north east taking the footpath through Bamford Clough. The path is very clear and easy to find and follow, but it is pretty steep. Not too dissimilar from the path up to Win Hill from Yorkshire Bridge, although it is paved with cobbles rather than boulders and tree roots. Once at the top of this path, I came out onto New Road. If you were to follow the road in a general northward direction, you would eventually come to Ladybower Reservoir and if you were to follow in a general southward direction, you could come just below Stanage Edge.

The view over to Win Hill from the path through Bamford Clough.
 I had been on this road before, with my friend John. In the dark. Looking for the footpath that I was to follow this day. On the previous trip (here), it was much harder to find. It seems as though we probably didn't follow the actual footpath, but we did get up on to Bamford Moor - the reason for finding this path on both occasions. It was here that I first began to feel how strongly the wind would be throughout the remainder of the day and it only increased in strength once on the moor, especially on the edge. What I did notice, was how much the various vegetation had grown since I was last in the Peak District. The heather was growing and getting towards its best, vivid purple. The fern was a very bright green colour. It all made for a pleasant stroll along Bamford Edge. It almost made the wind not seem too bad.

On Bamford Edge.

 While walking along Bamford Edge, I saw a couple of groups of people. One seemed to be some sort of school or youth group. They were all thoroughly enjoying themselves - great to see. The highlight of Bamford edge is always the view from opposite Win Hill, down on to Ladybower Reservoir. There is so much to be seen from here. Stanage Edge can be seen behind you, but the best view is definitely out over to Ladybower. It certainly is one of my favourite views.

My favourite Peak District view.
 Next was to follow the rest of the edge, and then bear north east and cross Jarvis Clough. A track can then be picked up that snakes below Hordron Edge and down to Cutthroat Bridge, so named in reference to a 400 year old murder that took place close to the road. More can be read here at PeakLandHeritage.org.uk. These days, I think it is a bit of a disappointing sight. I was expecting a lovely old, worn bridge over a picturesque stream. It's nice, but nothing special.

The track that leads to Cutthroat Bridge.

Picking up the path across the bridge, there are good views back across to Hordron Edge, and Stanage Edge beyond that. In these fields, there was alot of cotton grass. Rather disappointingly, I couldn't get a good enough picture of it. This more than made up for Cutthroat Bridge. Pressing onwards, I arrived at Whinstone Lee Tor. Here, the wind was insane. At times, I could barely stand. Trying to take photographs was a definite hardship. The views down onto Ladybower Reservoir were again - excellent. Due to that fact, this became my dinner spot. An hour or so went by while sitting here, wind never really dying down.

Another view down onto Ladybower Reservoir.
 After having had something to eat and drink; I carried on up towards Wheel Stones. Time had began to get away from me though, and after reaching the 454m point on the map after Hurkling Stones it was time to head off Derwent Moor already. The train home would be at Bamford soon enough, and it was a lengthy walk back to the station.

Looking towards Wheel Stones.

As I said, I was (and still am) disappointed about deciding against camping. I wish I would have braved it now, broken tent or not. But nevermind. Another day.

Here are a couple more pictures from the day;

On the path through Bamford Clough.
The view from "New Road."
Looking back down into Bamford.
On Bamford Edge.
Probably the bluest sky of the day.
Looking over to Crook Hill.
My newest piece of kit, a Water-To-Go filter bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment